Closet Purge!

10:56 PM

Most people tend to clean out their homes in the spring (hence the whole "Spring Cleaning" fad) but I like to go through my closet every year at the end of August. Fall is my favorite season, so  doing a closet purge makes me feel like I have  a fresh start, and it de-clutters and de-stresses my life to get me ready for the busy holiday season.  I started this little tradition about three years ago, when I realized that getting dressed each morning REALLY stressed me out! Why did it stress me out so much when clothes are my passion? Well friends... It was because I had too much stuff in my closet (and 50% of it I didn't even wear that often) Having so many unwanted, and un-needed clothes made not only my closet cluttered, but my mind cluttered as well. It blurred my vision towards the pieces that I loved and looked amazing on me. Every morning I would stand in front of a jam packed closet, and cry about not having anything to wear. I would end up wearing the same three outfits every week because I didn't want to deal with trying to create new one (stupid, right?) So slowly, I started to clear things out. Some days I would get rid of 4 bags of clothes, and other days I would only get rid of 2 shirts, but finally I got to the point where I could stand in front of a clean organized closet, filled with only pieces I love. It makes mornings a breeze, and I don't even miss any those clothes at all. I do this once every year, so that my closet never gets to that point again!

More and more people are turning to "capsule wardrobes" which I think is a great model to get you inspired! I don't know if I could ever commit to such a small number of items, and everyone has a different ideal wardrobe. So i'm just going to share what has worked for me so far!

ONE- Take everything out of your closet and dresser. Seriously. EVERYTING

TWO- Identify the duplicates. Do you have two black v-neck tees, or two red tank tops? If so, choose the one you like the most and toss the other. If you absolutely love them both, its okay keep it! Purging your wardrobe is all about creating a closet with only pieces that you love.

THREE- Now that the duplicate items are gone, go through every single piece and ask yourself these questions.
Is it in good condition?
Does it fit me well?
Have I worn it in the last 12 months?
The most important question- Do I LOVE it? Whenever I wear it does it make me feel confident?

FOUR- Grab some boxes and bags. Anything that didn't  have a yes answer must be separated into these categories.
Trash- Anything that is stained, torn, or stretched out. JUST THROW IT AWAY!
Sell- Anything that is still up to date, in good condition, or hasn't been worn can be sold! I always take my clothes to uptown cheapskate, or platos closet. It's an easy way to earn some extra cash, and you won't feel bad about getting rid of those good quality items that you just no longer love.
Donate-Everything that wasn't bought or is no longer in the best condition donate! Get rid of it right away to prevent those last minute mind changes.
Undecided-For those tricky items that you're just not sure about. Put them in a box at the back of your closet. If you don't find yourself thinking about, or reaching for them in the next 4 weeks... toss them!
Doing this ritual every 6 months will help you tremendously in developing your personal style. You'll start to understand what you like, what flatters you, and what you will honestly wear once it comes home with you. This will also help you  understand where the gaps in your wardrobe are. Now you can think about adding a few pieces, but keep thee tips in mind:

Only buy the things you love! Don't buy things that are on the sale rack because they're cheap; instead save that money you would have spent and put it towards an amazing piece that you feel great in!
Buy the classics- Sure, it's fun to buy trendy pieces, but in six months you will just end up throwing them out. My rule is that each season I can buy two or three inexpensive trendy items. That way I still feel like I'm staying in trend, but I'm not blowing my money and wasting my closet space for items that won't mean anything in the future. It's important to start creating a wardrobe that can stay with you for years to come. 
Replace items- When you're first starting your closet purge you will have to keep some items. Maybe your favorite black sweater is starting to pill, or you jeans are extremely faded. It's impractical to throw those items ways, and immediately go buy new ones. Instead put a little money aside each month to replace those items and get rid of the old.
Invest in quality- Sure right now those 10 dollar jeans sound pretty good, but in the long run its going to be worth spending a little bit more money. Remember that its better to spend $60 dollars on a pair of jeans that fit amazingly and are durable, instead of spending 5 bucks on 10 different pair of thrift jeans that never fit quite right.
I hope that these tips are helpful! Just try this once, and I promise that it will make your life, and your wardrobe so much easier to handle!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Thats So 70's

I'm an old soul. There is no doubt that I should have been a teenager in the 70's. I have always been obsessed with everything a...